Sign in to follow this  
Element Unknown

Cordless impact wrench for home garage use, what's decent ~$200

Looking around for something decent for around $200 for home use, like decent batteries and torque etc to get by with in a home garage DIY situation?

Whats everyone using?

Cheers

Hef

Edited by HumanHefner

For $200, don't bother.

I grabbed an AEG brushless skin, two 4ah batteries and charger for just under $500 from Bunnings. I abuse it daily, and the batteries will last a week easy, before needing a charge. You could probably just buy the one 2ah battery, and save yourself a fair bit of money. They don't take that long to charge. I think from dead flat to fully charged, it's about 30mins.

• Upvote 1

For $200, don't bother.

I grabbed an AEG brushless skin, two 4ah batteries and charger for just under $500 from Bunnings. I abuse it daily, and the batteries will last a week easy, before needing a charge. You could probably just buy the one 2ah battery, and save yourself a fair bit of money. They don't take that long to charge. I think from dead flat to fully charged, it's about 30mins.

what like this one?

http://www.bunnings....er-kit_p6230205

pretty bargain now for $379

Edited by HumanHefner

I know you said you wanted cordless but thought I would share what I use. I got this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-UNIMAC-240v-1-2-Electric-Impact-Wrench-Rattle-Gun-Driver-Torque-Tools-Air-/160857702147?hash=item2573ddbf03 when they were having a sale and got it for under $100. I thought it was going to be no good but hasn't failed me yet and I have honestly given it a fair work out since buying it.

I know you said you wanted cordless but thought I would share what I use. I got this http://www.ebay.com....=item2573ddbf03 when they were having a sale and got it for under $100. I thought it was going to be no good but hasn't failed me yet and I have honestly given it a fair work out since buying it.

Hmmm, i was considering a corded one, thanks for the share.

Edited by HumanHefner

Depending on your budget :

Ozito (LOL Jokes) > AEG (questionable build quality) > Ryobi > DeWalt > Makita > Hitachi > SnapOn

Because i only use it maybe once every 2 months, and it's 90% for wheel nuts i went with the Ryobi since you don't want a massively torquey impact wrench for wheels unless it is adjustable.... That said i also have a Makita + AirTools for all the suspension + driveline stuff.

The main reason we went Ryobi though is because of this little baby:

Ryobi_Inflator.jpg

For some reason Ryobi is the only brand that makes a battery powered tyre inflator... and it almost gets used as much as all the other cordless tools combined.

IMO If i only had a choice of 1 wrench, i would probably get a Makita...

...Also brushless tech etc. etc. is all good but definitely not worth the bang for buck unless you are using your tools every day.

I have a Milwaukee and its super good, although I didnt pay a cent for it so I cant really comment on if its worth the money.

I have a Hitachi Impact wrench mixed with a 8 piece Kincrome impact set, it all fits in the 1 box so its pretty good as a kit to just move along with me.

Purely home use and its great, cant fault it as of yet and ive had it about 3years now and i use it prob once a fortnight.

Got a Milwaukee Impact Gun too, big and heavy as fk, but it has the balls to rattle off axle nuts at 260Nm. I paid a mint for it ages ago, then in the last year picked up a Milwaukee drill and angle grinder shell to use with the batteries/charger. Considering the amount I use the grinder and drill, I feel I've gotten my money's worth from what I paid, and the build quality seems decent.

If you every get the chance, cordless angle grinders are the bomb. Sooo convenient to just pick it up and stroll to the street when you have to 'adjust' something on the car, versus having to run an extension cord and bring the car in.

• Upvote 2

Depending on your budget :

Ozito (LOL Jokes) > AEG (questionable build quality) > Ryobi > DeWalt > Makita > Hitachi > SnapOn

Because i only use it maybe once every 2 months, and it's 90% for wheel nuts i went with the Ryobi since you don't want a massively torquey impact wrench for wheels unless it is adjustable.... That said i also have a Makita + AirTools for all the suspension + driveline stuff.

The main reason we went Ryobi though is because of this little baby:

Ryobi_Inflator.jpg

For some reason Ryobi is the only brand that makes a battery powered tyre inflator... and it almost gets used as much as all the other cordless tools combined.

IMO If i only had a choice of 1 wrench, i would probably get a Makita...

...Also brushless tech etc. etc. is all good but definitely not worth the bang for buck unless you are using your tools every day.

Thnx Loz, I am in fact going to be using on suspension/driveline duties so I will be needing a good all rounder.

Makita looks to be about my price range, will have to bite the bullet and spend a little extra i guess if I want something to last me a long time.

Something like this http://www.bunnings.com.au/makita-18v-impact-wrench-skin-only_p6240157 ?

Got a Milwaukee Impact Gun too, big and heavy as fk, but it has the balls to rattle off axle nuts at 260Nm. I paid a mint for it ages ago, then in the last year picked up a Milwaukee drill and angle grinder shell to use with the batteries/charger. Considering the amount I use the grinder and drill, I feel I've gotten my money's worth from what I paid, and the build quality seems decent.

If you every get the chance, cordless angle grinders are the bomb. Sooo convenient to just pick it up and stroll to the street when you have to 'adjust' something on the car, versus having to run an extension cord and bring the car in.

I could think of many situations where this would be handy

Like removing the neighbors flag pole for example.

• Upvote 1

Exactly. Legal, illegal, it's all the same.

Someone clamps your wheels? F**k them, cordless angle grinder. Found something baller in a council cleanup that won't fit in your car? Cordless angle grinder. Chewed the head of a Philips screw and want to slot it to use a flatblade? Cordless angle grinder.

The bare shell was only $99 or less form Total Tools iirc. Recently picked up an AEG Sawzall too (corded mind you), and that's shaping up to be another favourite tool for me. Chopped 6 tyres up to put them in the bin, and should be really helpful when clearing out my folk's garage.

I just bought a Ryobi. Got a cordless drill with 2 batteries and a impact wrench with 265nm for about $400. Was using a Panasonic on before, this is 100x better.

I also have a corded one, it's pretty good, but obviously no where near as convenient.

AEG are one of the better built power tools out there. Most of their gear comes with a 6 year warranty (if you bother to register within 30 days) and would probably sit between Ryobi and DeWalt

Edited by junkie

I've got both Makita impact wrenches (DTW251 & DTW450) and I love them. The larger one is great for wheel nuts & suspension bolts, the smaller one is lighter and has better control for everything else.

AEG are one of the better built power tools out there. Most of their gear comes with a 6 year warranty (if you bother to register within 30 days) and would probably sit between Ryobi and DeWalt

My thoughts as well.

I'd put Ryobi down there with green Bosch. Designed for part-time Grandpa home handyman.

I've got the AEG brushless cordless grinder to go with the rattle gun. Both have been faultess in the 12 months I've had them. I've got a Ryobi drill, and it's f**king shit. Looking forward to retiring it for an AEG one.

If you plan on buying multiple tools over the years for different work requirements like drills, impact driver etc, Milwaukee should be high up on your list. their range is good value for money, tools are solid and reliable. i have about 15-20 of them.

the impact wrench is rated up to 1200nm or so, power equal to Ingersoll rand, is at least half the price of snap on, and you can pick it up (and batteries, accessories etc) from your local tool shop like total tools or Sydney tools if online.

you will NOT buy a 'good' cordless impact wrench for $200, been there, done that, binned them for milwaukee. go for this one and you will not be dissapointed, 1/2" 18v fuel (brushless, not the 'pin detent' version)

http://www.milwaukee...ordless/2763-22

Edited by r0berto
  • Upvote 1

If you plan on buying multiple tools over the years for different work requirements like drills, impact driver etc, Milwaukee should be high up on your list. their range is good value for money, tools are solid and reliable. i have about 15-20 of them.

the impact wrench is rated up to 1200nm or so, power equal to Ingersoll rand, is at least half the price of snap on, and you can pick it up (and batteries, accessories etc) from your local tool shop like just tools or Sydney tools if online.

you will NOT buy a 'good' cordless impact wrench for $200, been there, done that, binned them for milwaukee. go for this one and you will not be dissapointed, 1/2" 18v fuel (brushless, not the 'pin detent' version)

http://www.milwaukee...ordless/2763-22

Found this one at Just Tools http://justtools.com.au/milwaukee-m18-fuel-brushless-lithium-ion-18v40ah-cordless-1a2-impact-wrench-kit-m18ciw12-402c ?

damn too late to the thread, but recently I bought a Super Cheap rockwell one for 170$ has a claimed 400 nm which I believe is kind of true as it's able to undo wheel nuts pretty easy.

2 years warranty, perfect for track use. At home I still prefer air tools as you're able to throw them about and can be careless around fluids

That particular product goes by many names, Rockwell, rok, and I've had one before (in fact it was my first).

I measured the torque to MAX 140nm going in the 'tighten' direction, breakaway torque would be slightly higher. This is with a wheel nut, torque wrench and NiCad battery at full charge (don't know if they've moved to lithium yet).

Very poor quality, a waste of $170 if you ask me.

Sure it cost 3 times less than milwaukee, but you will not be able to do the jobs you really need it for like hub nuts and Crown wheel bolts. Milwaukee (or any good brand) will last you a life time if you treat it right, batteries and parts are replaceable.

Totally understand where you're coming from, but for track use to speed swapping out tyres its pretty damn good for $170.

Like I said earlier, for home use I still prefer my trusty air tools.

Thnx Loz, I am in fact going to be using on suspension/driveline duties so I will be needing a good all rounder.

Makita looks to be about my price range, will have to bite the bullet and spend a little extra i guess if I want something to last me a long time.

Something like this http://www.bunnings....n-only_p6240157 ?

Nup, that one is the same as the Ryobi.

Needs to be the big one :

https://sydneytools....rench-skin-only

Just noticed you bought the Milwaukee though, geat quality gear, heard the turnaround time on repair/replace and customer service is a bit average, but you probably wont have any issues since it's a decent brand.

As for AEG, we had some at my old work and we didn't find it to be that good hence the switch to makita for most of our stuff, but like everything everyone experiences are different .

well the head office for milwaukee in Melbourne is across the road from shoppo (so about 2 minutes from box hill) so im sure it wouldn't be that hard to get a reasonable result with warranty claims.

otherwise the Ryobi one above is about the same price as milwaukee, a bit lighter and smaller, but half the declared power output so i find it considerably less appealing. it is also a brushed motor, old technology now.

i have been using the milwaukee for ages, only need to charge it every fortnight and haven't had any issues with it. i dont see myself ever needing to put in a warranty claim, it feels and performs solid / reliably.